Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wardrobe Wednesday: My Favorite Non Running Accessory (Yoga Mat)

One of the best items to have 'just laying around the house' when it comes to having spur of the moment workout sessions or guilty ab crunches right before bed is a yoga mat. I find that having mine tucked into an accessible closet has given me the push I need to do in-home workouts without wavering. Having your own mat is also great if you are doing local group classes, I find it more sanitary.

When I went to a group bar class yesterday, I was looking around at all the mats. I really think that a yoga mat is a reflection of the owners personality. And I can say that I love my yoga mat as much as my running shoes. It has seen sweat, tears, and triumphs. That is why today, wardrobe Wednesday, I am featuring my much beloved yoga mat!

I have had my Wai Lana yoga mat for almost 9 years now. I have used it frequently for group Yoga & Pilates, and at home aerobic, stretching, and yoga workouts. It has survived 3 cats, 2 ferrets, a toddler, an unforeseen leak in the trunk of my car, 6 moves, countless trips (by plane and car)... this mat has stood the test of time. And even today, it looks brand new.

The list of why I love my Wai Lana yoga mat:
(1) It's durable (as you read above).
(2) Non slip bottom allows for you to practice without sliding all over the place.
(3) It has a thick padding which provides amazing comfort but it's not overwhelming.
(4) The mat has a beautiful design and the the colors are refreshing.
(5) The top of the mat has no slip grooves, which help you dodge slipping during hot yoga classes.


What you should consider when buying a mat:
(1) Don't purchase one just because it's pretty.
(2) You get what you pay for. Mats that are inexpensive are often times made out of PVC and deteriorate very fast.
(3) Think about what you are going to use it for.
(4) When buying a mat think like Goldilocks, you don't want anything too thick or too thin. Sometimes trying it out helps you figure out what feels just right.

Some quality comparison tests include (found here):
- The pinch test: Pinch the mat between thumb and forefinger to compare compression resistance.
- The wet friction test: Simulate sweating by moistening your hand. Compare wet traction by bearing down laterally on the surface of the mat.
- The quarter test: Compare samples by rubbing them with the edge of a quarter until the surface breaks down. The more strokes it takes before the surface breaks, the longer life the mat will have.


If you do decide to go with a Wai Lana, you can purchase a  yoga mat from > HERE < and if you spend more than $50 you can get free shipping until November 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Crunches before bed, that made me laugh. Not because you're silly, but because I couldn't imagine doing that myself. You are wayyy more dedicated than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say that it was out of dedication.... but alas I would have led you in the wrong direction. My prebed crunches always come from guilt. LOL! For example the cupcake I ate at 9:30 pm caused me to do a few sets. After reading your blog post about runner's weight... yep threw in a few set there also.

    ReplyDelete