Thursday, February 23, 2012

Training Thursday: Preparing for a Racecation

A runners mentality can make or break them during a race. If you think you can succeed you probably will. This is why when I get a few days away from leaving for my racecation, I start to mentally prepare for the trip as well as the race. I actually have some rituals that I do to help calm my nerves.


Done The Week Before
- Pack by laying out my running outfits so I can visualize what I am putting into my bag. You can find my packing list here
- I print out all my confirmation emails (hotel, race, dinner reservations)
- I print out maps to all destinations (hotel, race, expo)
- Call the hotel to verify the reservation and provide an estimated time of arrival (I have found myself without a room once b/c of hotel error, this is why it's always good to double check).
- I go shopping for snacks and Gatorade for the trip and after the race.
- Once my training slows down I treat my feet to a mani/pedi but I make sure that the manicurist doesn't shave the bottoms of my feet.
- Update the music on my iPod.
- Have running podcasts ready for the road trip (my two favorites below)

Running with the Pack
Marathon Show


Completed The Day/Night Before Leaving

- Go and get frozen yogurt (or ice cream) with my son (easy way to relax and celebrate the hard work thus far).
- Once little man is asleep the hubby and I snuggle up to watch a running themed movie.
- Make sure my Garmin is fully charged.

Everyone Loves Ice Cream!
Day Of Departure
- Breathe because everything is done and taken care of.

With all that said, now I am going to bed because we are off to Cape Cod tomorrow for our next half marathon! Happy Running :)


Be Inspired, Stay Motivated, Run Strong!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck this weekend! Hubby and I are beginning to plan our Boston trip and we plan to hit NYC too, so I'll be contacting you soon when we have more definitive dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Can't wait to hear all of the details!

    ReplyDelete