Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's Days Like These

A lot has been going on with this Happy Mother Runner lately. And overall, this week has been pretty exciting, especially for it being a non-race week and only Wednesday. I do have to admit that I thought it was going to be the complete opposite since it started off poorly. On Monday I ended up getting pulled over by a NYC police officer and receiving two traffic tickets (which will cost me the price of a Goofy Challenge registration).

Tuesday morning I woke-up from a horrible night of sleep, thanks to my allergies, to MG being adorable. He couldn't have put a bigger smile on my face. 

While my hubby was playing "gottcha" with MG (running around and tickling each other then screaming gottcha) I snuck out of the house and hurried off to the gym to get some hill work under my belt. While sitting in my car waiting for it to warm up, I got a blinky message on my phone. And guess what I see??

Women's Running Magazine named me Running Goddess of the day. I wish they had a blogger badge because I would put that sucker at the top of my page! I love the name Running Goddess, do you think that people will call me Dr. Running Goddess when I finally get my PhD? Seeing that message made me run a little harder.

When I got home from the gym MG and I did some light finger painting


and we then ate some bbq... yummy!


MG and I then took a walk and stopped for some hot chocolate. The day ended on a high note, we went out to dinner with an amazing friend for her birthday. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better day.

All the awesomeness overflowed into today and it started off on a great note. MG had stayed over at his grandmas for the night. So I got up a little later then usual and headed off to do a tempo run. The run was AMAZING! I kept my heart rate at 80% and my times were pretty impressive (for me) for remaining at tempo. If this is any indication of how my next race will go, I really think I will be hitting a PR (keeping my fingers crossed).

After the gym I went grocery shopping and then headed home. I spent the rest of the day cooking dinner, playing with Michael, and cleaning. At 3:00 I hurried to get online to register for the Marine Corps Marathon. I thought that this would be a great race to have as my first full marathon. For 30 minutes I kept trying to log on to active.... but no luck. Finally, after a 15 minute break, I got Active to work. Thank goodness because the Marine Corps Marathon sold out in 2 hours. The fastest sale out in running history. I am so excited that we got in!!


I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the week will be just as great and that the spring weather (60 degrees) keeps up for my long run this Sunday.

Mark your Calenders:
I will be going to the MultiSport World Conference on Saturday taking place, on my home turf, at Columbia. Throughout the day I will be tweeting the awesome info that I will be learning from the running seminars. If you would like to follow me, my twitter handle is HappyMotherRun and I will be posting under the hashtag #MSNYC. I will be attending the following seminars:
  • The Secret to a Long, Healthy Life: The Role of Exercise in Health Preservation; Robert Sallis, MD, past President for the American College of Sports Medicine and Board Chairman for Exercise is Medicine
  • What Makes a Mentally Happy Athlete? Paul Weiss, PhD, Chief Program Officer at Asphalt Green 
  • What Makes a Nutritionally Happy Athlete? Nancy Clark, RD
  • What Makes Happy Feet? Choosing the Right Pair of Running Shoes and Loving Them, Michelle Glaser and Mark Montgomery, Jack Rabbit Sports
  • Maximizing Run Performance; Coach Al Lyman, CSCS, FMS, HKC, Pursuit Athletic Performance
  • The Most Common Injuries and How to Avoid Them; Jordan D. Metzl, MD, Hospital for Special Surgery
  • How to Stay out of the Medical Tent on Race Day; Andrew Getzin, MD, Sports Medicine and Athletic Performance 
  • Overcoming Adversity and Medical Disaster Through Sport; Matt Long, former NYC Firefighter, crash victim, elite athlete and author, The Long Run
I am also very happy to be continuing a post series about racecations.So keep your eyes open. The next swag giveaway will take place during a racecation post. Until then...

Be Inspired, Stay Motivated, Run Strong!

PS - Happy Mother Runner has been nominated for a Fitterati Blogger Award. Please go here <http://blog-awards.fitnessmagazine.com/blog-awards/fitness_blog/51#badge_window> to vote! It would mean the world to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment