Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Run and Foam Rolling

Today was my first day back after my last race. I wanted to give my body some downtime since I wasn't feeling too great after the race. Apparently, that was the best idea. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today (the weather was pretty bad). In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't seem like a lot. But it was a strong and solid 3 miles. The greatest part about my run was that I only walked for 20 seconds. 3 miles of full out running. Which, for me, is the first time. Granted my pace is still on the slower side but I am working on improving my strength through cross training. So in a few months we shall see if it has been beneficial.

Treadmill Running Tip: Listen to a running podcast. Treadmill running can be boring, by listening to a podcast it helps the time go by and gives your mind something to focus on directly. Listening to a running podcast motivates you to push just a littler harder.
One of my favorites is Running with the Pack by Allen and Stevie.

After a pretty great workout, I went home and found a package at my door. IT HAD ARRIVED! I haven't been this excited to open a box since Christmas (ok, I know that wasn't that long ago). Say hello to the newest addition to my family, the bright orange foam roller.

Once I got it out of the box, I was on the floor rolling out my Glutes. The noises I made were, by some peoples standards, obnoxious and somewhat misleading. I couldn't help it, I never had such a deep massage. I guess out of shock or panic (probably most confusion) my husband ran into the room to check on me. When he saw me laying on the floor massaging my backside, he was beyond puzzled. I told him that I would teach him how to use it later and that right now it was my turn.

I am still learning the basics of the foam roller since this is a new discovery for me. What I have begun to learn is that it is a method of myofascial release which increases circulation and lymphatic drainage, and relaxes the muscles by focusing on trigger points in the connective tissue layers that surround the muscles. One of the ways to successfully achieve myofascial release (besides a massage) is by using a foam roller. A video that was a great tool in guiding me through my first solo roller attempt can be found below.

Be Inspired, Stay Motivated, Run Strong!



No comments:

Post a Comment