Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Uphill Sprints

So I told myself that I was going to stick to the plan. hahaha! I really wish I started off like that. I am running and getting my miles in. I am just not doing the strength and tempo like I really wanted to. So today I pushed myself. I dragged my butt outside and ran hill sprints. I know today was suppose to be a rest day, but I rested all weekend after the 10K.

I have read some articles on the positives of hill training. There is an article in Runners World titled "Want to Run Fast? Run Uphill!" from 2007 that covers the basics. The article states "The fast pace builds speed, but it's the hill that provides the strength benefit. Running up an incline places the same demand on your muscles as weight training--your glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves must "lift" you up the slope--but they're more specific to running. And just as with plyometrics (jump drills), the "explosive" action of uphill sprints improves elasticity in your muscles and tendons, which allows you to spring quickly into action after landing."

So I thought I would give it a try. 

The hill sprints weren't bad I did a set of four with my final sprint carrying my 23 lb son. That was a workout. Now to keep it up. I guess everything is a an uphill battle, literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment