Sunday, October 30, 2011

#1 Killer of Runs

Creaky floors. Yep creaky floors are the number one cause of not getting out the door. Well, at least at my house. What do I mean by this? I am an early morning runner, I try to get out and back before anyone wakes up. Living in a somewhat small apartment in NYC doesn't provide me with many options when it comes to escape routes. If I want to go for a run I have to sneak out of my bedroom and pass my sons room to get out the door. Many times (too many to count) I have tried sneaking out and I get right to the door and the floor goes !CREAK! and the next thing I hear is "MAMA!" When this happens, just for a second, everything in me deflates. I go into his bedroom and greet him with a "Good Morning, Sunshine!" and he just giggles. It makes me so happy to see his face in the morning, but what's even better is seeing him wake up (with his happy face) after I have a great run under my belt. I have to admit, I have tried everything to pass over that creaky floor without making a sound. I have shuffled my feet instead of walking, baby crawled, army crawled, marked areas on the floor with tape. I have even kept him up late in hopes that he will sleep in. But some days, to get out the door is impossible even at 5:30 am. I do find a way to make it work. The other day I did sprints carrying him along. And I have done runs pushing a none jogging stroller (a jogger is on my PLEASE SANTA PLEASE list). But no matter what, at the end of the day I am a Happy Mother Runner because I have a son who says "BRAVO MAMA!" even after my most horrible run.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. There are so many times that I am all ready to go run and Addie comes sleepily out of her room...but seeing her so proud of me when I cross the finish line and just after a bad day when says she is proud of me makes me the humblest mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the greatest feeling in the world. I run because of him. He inspires me everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I don't have children or floors that go creak just yet, I completely understand the hurdles that one goes through simply to get a run in. Kudos to you for jumping over these hurdles and succeeding, I admire your determination!

    ReplyDelete